Pages

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

TimeRiders

By: Alex Scarrow
Rated: 2.1

Maddy, Liam, and Sal were saved from certain death to become agents for TimeRiders, a group created to stop time travel from destroying the world. When a new threat appears-with evil tracing back to World War II- the TimeRiders go back in time to Nazi Germany and then forward into an ever-shifting present, to fulfill their destinies as keepers of time.
At first, I thought that I was really going to wind up liking this book. The storyline seemed good, the characters I could definitely connect to (especially Liam), and there was some really cool stuff going on. But that's when things started going downhill.
I first started to dislike the book when they went and screwed with John F. Kennedy. First of all, if they'd already stopped Oswald several times before, then how did the kids still know that he killed Kennedy. The old man said that the exact same thing happened every time, and in this chapter, two different men killed Kennedy. So why didn't that change history? Because the writer DID NOT think this thing through.
Several chapters later I was dissappointed yet again when the dear old Doctor went and changed history. If the Nazis had won, then the inventor of the time-machine wouldn't have invented the time-machine. Meaning that the Doctor would not have gone looking for it and would not have changed history. Since he wouldn't have changed history, inevitably the time-machine would've been invented and history would've been changed. This is called a grandfather-loop, and it happens when writers DON'T THINK THINGS THROUGH.
Then there were the journals from the museum. How is it that both teenagers just happened to think of the same thing, at the same time, in two different points in history. (okay, well maybe not at the same time, but you get the point.)
This book was in NO WAY perfect, and I WILL NOT be reading it again. You'd have to cut me into small pieces, scatter me on the wind, and throw me to the Nazis before I would ever give this book a good review.
For the next review, I will be taking a look at: "Human.4". By: Mike A. Lancaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment